Sunday 20 January 2013

Portrait artists

Gabriel Moreno
Moreno's style really interests me as it's so unique. His portraits are strong and visually beautiful, with a subtle use of colour and intricate line work. I love how he draws smaller portraits within the main portrait. I wish my thought process worked like this. When I draw portraits, I don't think to add these decorative additions to the image.

Jonothon Wood
I am not particularly keen on Wood's portrait work. I appreciate its photo realism and likeness to the subject, but they lack character. You might as well just own a photo print-out of your favourite celebrity, as these pictures don't show any striking individualism to Wood as an artist. I feel it's a style many portrait artists probably share.

Olena Shmahalo
Shmahalo's work is aesthetically stunning. It appears he uses digital software with pencil or pen, and has a strong talent in drawing people, whilst incorporating emotion in his art too. I find his work can be quite moving through the use of colour and his approach to creating a soft, feminine air.

Florian Nicolle
Nicolle's work isn't the most appealing to me, personally, but I do like the lack of control. There's a real likeness to the people he had drawn, but only aspects of them has been portrayed, with these paint daubs and splashes added on top for effect. I don't particularly like the standard brown paper background on most of his portraits. I know it gives his work a sense of identity, but to me, it just looks too urban.

Chan Yee Von
Yee Von's work is just my cup of tea! I absolutely love these illustrations above, although I wouldn't technically class them as portrait art. The soft but dull and melancholic colours are beautiful to me! I love the little characters too, with long, dark flowing hair and hankering expressions on their faces.
I have included this in a post about portrait art as I can visualise her working on portraits quite well, if she was to draw a well-known figure or celebrity, her style would fit nicely!


No comments:

Post a Comment